* This post featured on ‘Freshly Pressed’ September 2014
I was intrigued when I recently saw contestants in the Australian production of ‘My Kitchen Rules’ make someting called a Flan de Café. I searched online and discovered that it’s a traditional Spanish/South American recipe made with sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and coffee.
It looks very much like the crème caramel we’re more familiar with but, due to the type of milks used, has a very different texture. While a crème caramel, which is made with standard milk or cream, is light and silky, this flan is quite a bit denser (as you can see from my photos) and is sliced very easily because of it. It’s also, surprisingly, not overly sweet and goes together particularly well with whipped cream and sweet tropical fruits such as banana or mango.
Thanks to Meals.com for the easy to follow recipe. I adapted it only slightly, adding in some Kahlua (well, why wouldn’t you?!) and a little vanilla essence to round out the flavours just a bit more. If you’re wanting to impress your guests with a fairly spectacular looking dessert, but put very little effort into it, this one’s for you! Enjoy!!
FLAN DE CAFÉ
Ingredients: (Click here for Unit Converter)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) Evaporated Milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Instant Coffee Granules
- 20ml Kahlua (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
- Whipped cream and fresh fruit to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- For the caramel: Place the sugar into a medium sized heavy-based saucepan or skillet (fry pan) over medium heat. As the sugar begins to melt, use a heatproof rubber spatula or a metal spoon to drag it towards the centre of the pan. Continue to do this until all the sugar has melted and begun to colour. Keep cooking, swirling the pan to prevent burning, until the sugar turns a golden reddish-brown and just begins to smoke (about 3-4 minutes). Quickly pour onto bottom of 9-inch deep pie dish; swirl around bottom and side to coat. Put aside for the caramel to set.
- For the flan: Place the sweetened condensed milk, eggs, evaporated milk, coffee granules, Kahlua (if using) and vanilla essence in blender. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into prepared dish; cover with foil. Place dish in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with water to about 1-inch depth.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until there is a slight jiggle in the middle of the flan (don’t wait until it is set firm, or the result will be rubbery). Remove flan from water and cool on wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a small spatula around edge of pan. Invert serving plate over dish. Turn over; shake gently to release. NB: You will find that some of the caramel will remain hardened in the bottom of your dish – you can simply microwave it on high for 10-20 seconds to melt it and pour it back over top of the flan. Serve topped with whipped cream and fruit.
Food Photography Info: Canon 550D (EOS Rebel T2i); Top image – Canon 18-55 lens; Bottom image – Canon 50mm 1.8mm lens / Natural lighting