Was looking for something light and healthy for lunch today and came across a torn-out page from an Australian magazine in one of my recipe folders. Sadly, the page doesn’t have the magazine’s name on it, so I can’t credit it. However, I’m glad I tried it – it was quick to make and enjoyable to eat. The little salad was a particularly lovely accompaniment.
I felt though that the actual patties were a touch on the bland side and needed some extra seasoning, so I’d recommend adding salt and pepper (which wasn’t in the original recipe), and some Thai Sweet Chili sauce on the side for some extra zing. I also found that the patties didn’t brown particularly well in the oven, so I browned them quickly in a little oil in a fry pan at the end (obviously, you could pan fry them quickly before they go in the oven instead). I reckon these would make a nice starter – you could even halve the size of the patties to make mini-sized ones – you’d just need to reduce the cooking time.
ASIAN FISH & RICE PATTIES (GLUTEN-FREE)
- 500g boneless skinless firm white fish fillets, chopped
- 1 cup cold cooked jasmine rice
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sugar, plus 1 Tbsp extra
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- Using a food processor on pulse mode, process fish, half the rice, coriander, paste, salt and pepper, and sugar until just combined (don’t mince the fish though; aim for small chunky pieces). Stir in remaining rice. Using damp hands, shape mixture into 8 patties. Place on a plate, cover with plastic food wrap, and chill for 14 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place patties on prepared tray. Spray with oil. Bake, turning half way through cooking, for 15 minutes or until cooked. If you want the patties to have that lovely golden-brown look, fry them briefly in a little oil before or after cooking.
- Combine cucumber, carrot, sprouts and mint in a bowl. In a small jug, combine vinegar, sauce and juice. Stir in extra sugar until dissolved. Pour over salad and toss to combine. Divide among serving plates. Top with fish patties and serve sprinkled with coriander leaves.
Food Photography Info: Canon 550D (EOS Rebel T2i); Canon 50mm 1.8 lens / Natural lighting