I did, however, make some enhancements to the topping which I think worked particularly well, adding Kahlua and coffee powder to the cream and scattering roasted hazelnuts over top. I even made a small amount of caramel and dipped some of the hazelnuts in it for some added drama! The result was supremely delicious and the family gave it the big thumbs up.
NB: I changed the oven temperature to suit my oven – if you want to go with the original temperature, refer to the link above.
CAPPUCCINO PAVLOVA WITH KAHLUA CREAM
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder (not instant coffee granules)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
For the topping:
- 500ml double cream (plus 4 Tbsp Kahlua, 2 Tbsp icing sugar & 2 tsp extra espresso powder)
- Cocoa powder
- A handful of hazelnuts (lightly toasted and skins removed)
- Preheat the oven to 130°C (265°F). Line a flat oven sheet with baking parchment and, using a 23cm/9inch cake tin, draw a circle on it.
- Mix the sugar with the instant espresso powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a clean, grease-free metal bowl whisk the egg whites and salt until they are holding soft peaks (I used an electric mixer). Keep whisking while you add the sugar-coffee mixture about a tablespoon at a time.
- Once the mixture is stiff and glossy and the sugar is completely dissolved, add in the sifted cornflour and vinegar and beat for one more minute.
- Dollop the meringue mixture inside the drawn circle. Smooth and shape it with a spatula so that it is flat on top.
- Put it in the oven and and cook for an hour. Switch off the oven and leave inside until cool.
- Transfer the pavlova carefully to a serving plate (I use a large plate sized metal spatula).
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and add the coffee powder, icing sugar and Kahlua. Whip until thick but soft and spread over the top of the meringue. Sieve some cocoa over top of the cream and sprinkle over the toasted hazelnuts.
Food Photography Info: Canon 550D (EOS Rebel T2i); Canon 18-55mm lens / Natural lighting