I have to be honest. I can’t say that I’d not rather have the real thing (i.e. that divine concoction loaded with chocolate, cream and sugar – if you’re after that, you can find it here), but when you need to go easy on the sweet stuff this is a really nice way of eating healthily and yet feeling like you’re having a bit of a splurge. Avocado, whipped up, is thick, creamy and well.. non-avocado like. And when you add a really good quality cocoa and a hint of natural sweetness, you’re onto something not too dissimilar from the real thing. And you can eat it to your heart’s content with no guilt! Thanks to Nicola Jane Hobbs at Mind Body Green.com for this great little recipe. Enjoy!
AVOCADO CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 tsp stevia (or other natural sweetener like honey or pure maple syrup)
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- Bung the avocado, cocao powder, almond/coconut milk, stevia (or other sweetener), and vanilla into a food processor and blitz till smooth.
- Pile the mixture into one or two dishes and put in the fridge to chill.
- When ready to eat, serve with toasted almonds or berries (my favourite).
Food Photography Info: Canon 550D (EOS Rebel T2i); Canon 50mm 1.8 lens / Natural lighting